Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rainwater Harvesting

Rainwater Harvesting (RWH) is a key piece of the sustainability puzzle for community gardeners. I spend a considerable amount of my work time assisting community gardeners setting up RWH systems. This past weekend I led a workshop for 25 NYC gardeners on RWH at the GreenThumb Grow Together. Last week I worked with the Green Apple Corps to install a RWH system at the Fantasy Garden in Brownsville, Brooklyn. New York City now has at least 55 community gardens with RWH. The GrowNYC website has an extensive RWH section including a map of all of the systems, a how to manual and pictures of many of the systems. A New York Times article highlighted this work and profiled me and the RWH system at my home. You can view a video showing a RWH system being built at the Joe Holska Community Garden in Staten Island. There is a collaborative of New York City environmental and community gardening groups, the Water Resources Group that has a blog of information on RWH. As you can see there is a wealth of resources for community gardeners and others who are interested in RWH.

No comments:

Post a Comment